The most uninteresting thing in every trip will be the airport. Nevertheless, you spend a lot of time here. So learn below how you can make your stay here as smooth as possible...
Read More Below
Spend Time Like A VIP
1. The Right Time To Arrive So you arrive at the airport just at the right time.
The right time will depend on which airport you are flying from. Check your flight documents recommendation, to see when to check in for your flight. I normally arrive 2h before my flight, but it will depend on a lot, on other factors.
Very important! Be aware that the time on the ticket and other documents usually show the departure time. But you should orientate yourself with the Boarding Time, which is usually 30min before the departure time.
2. Time To Go To The Gate My recommendation is to try to get to your gate as quickly as possible, so you are sure no unpleasant surprises will stand in your way to catch your flight. This can be a hand luggage check for animals, like in Hawaii. Or a special passport control in front of a couple of gates after clearing TSA, like in Zurich.
So whatever there is, you have cleared it already. So you don’t find yourself in a situation, where you lingered around for 1 ½ hours in some airport cafe, only to find out, that you could have used the time for the passport control.
3. Use Time To Charge Your Devices So after you went to your gate, you now can plan how to spend your time at the airport. This is a good opportunity to check if all your batteries are full. This can be the last time to charge your devices before your flight, especially if this is your transfer airport.
There are not only power connections in charging towers. You can find them anywhere. Just keep your eyes open and you will find them for example under seats or next to a phone booth.
After you made sure everything is fully charged, you can now decide how to pass time.
4. Make Your Own VIP Area Unless you have a frequent flier card for a VIP premium lounge, you are left with the uncomfortable airport seats. But you can bypass these by sitting in a restaurant. So make sure you find the most comfortable restaurant to sit down. In order not to get expelled, order something small, so you are safe. And if you haven’t found a power connection previously, you can ask the waiter if you can charge your phone there. So you have a phone guardian, a calm and comfortable seat, and something to drink, for only a couple of bucks.
Make sure you keep an eye on the time and arrive in front of your gate 15 to 20 minutes before boarding. Important: Check again if the gate has not changed.
So with these tips you make sure you passed the time at the airport with the most comfort.
Read below why not to board the plan as the last person.
Read More Below
Use The Line To Your Advantage
5. Line Strategy Everybody seems to have their own strategy. A couple of examples will be, the elderly couple who stands in front of the counter before the line even started, the many people who sat still for 30min and rush to form a line as soon as the boarding got called through the speaker and the cool businessman who sits in the waiting area till the last minute.
6. But Which Strategy Is The Best? In my opinion, that depends. Certain is that the plane will not depart sooner if you stress in to the plane.
So my general idea is to wait for most people to board and then make your way to the counter and inside the airplane. This has two advantages.
First, waiting time in the queue is reduced as many of the passengers already boarded. But don't be the last person so you won't be on the loosing end when the flight got overbooked. There are horror stories of people who booked their flight but couldn't go on the plane because the airline overbooked the flight.
7. This Is A General Rule And Has Some Exceptions. If you have a short flight, most likely many of the people including you will travel with hand luggage. And not the small backpack which you can store under the seat, like for long flights, but the boarder line big trolley case. So after the first 30 people got to their seat the overhead locker is already fully occupied, so you have the convenience to stuff your also large hand luggage between your knees for the duration of the flight. So on a short flight try to board the plane as soon as possible.
Of course there are some airlines which have boarding "Groups", where you are in a group of people who board the plane. So the rules above apply here as well, unfortunately only in the group you get called up on.